Sunday, February 5, 2012

History


When I was small, we spent most of our vacations in East Tennessee.  I always loved it here, but I never fully appreciated its beauty until I lived in New Jersey.   :-)  Not that New Jersey doesn't have its own type of beauty (and it does, believe me), its just different.  There is a depth of beauty here that goes far beyond the mountains, rivers, and trees. 




Every place has a story.  A little old, a little new, but beautiful just the same.





This carving was made from a tree my husband cut down many years ago.  It is still held in place by the roots of the tree.





I can see my mamaw's eyes in the eyes of this bear, just like I hear her sing to me through bluegrass music.  





And if I look close, I can see my papaw standing on the creek picking up a round, flat stone and skipping it across the water.





 
The footprints of an earlier life that have not been completely washed away.  We are so lucky to touch that history and still feel the connection.  They are our history.














"This we know:  All things are connected like the blood that unites us.  We did not weave the web of live.  We are merely a strand in it.  Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves."


Have a great week!





2 comments:

  1. WOnderful pictures, where were you? Just beginning to enjoy the Smokies and East TN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a home on Montvale Road in Maryville. Bill has worked for them for many years and he took me along to take some pics last week. It's really a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete